Be your genuine self and seek to build relationships. That means asking questions, listening with intent and knowing how you can be a solution to someone else’s problem. I fundamentally believe that we’re all meant to help each other to better the world. Go deep, not wide in those relationships. — Samantha Villanueva-Meyer
Earlier this month, Ironclad hosted a Zoom panel for 1L and 2L students, featuring five lawyers who took different paths in their careers — from Wall Street trader to paralegal-turned-partner in biglaw, to educator teaching STEM in an urban school district in Houston.
Our panelists included:
- Simona Agnolucci, Litigation and Managing Partner at Wilkie Farr & Gallagher — responsible for managing firm business as well as complex litigation, including class action and white collar defense.
- Jason Boehmig, Ironclad’s CEO and Co-founder, who also teaches law as an adjunct professor at the University of Notre Dame.
- Efren Bonner, a graduate of Harvard School of Law, who partners with enterprise legal teams on implementation of the Ironclad platform in his role as a Legal Engineer.
- Samantha Villanueva-Meyer, a graduate of UC Hastings School of Law, who serves as Enjoy Technology’s Chief Legal Officer, managing global legal and compliance functions.
- Chris Young, a graduate of Berkeley School of Law, who serves as Ironclad’s General Counsel, overseeing contracting, patent filing and legal initiatives.
Hear their best, actionable advice on parlaying that law degree into a fulfilling career path (even one you might not have expected). Watch our on-demand video.
- How I Started My Career in Law – 7:16
- What Does It Mean to Be a Legal Professional – 25:24
- What Essential Foundations Does a Law Firm Provide? – 28:22
- Why Go In-House? 30:48
- Preparing for a Career in Business as a Lawyer 35:23
- How Do You Go About Pursuing Opportunities After Law School? 37:29
- Networking Tips 42:29
Be scrappy and be willing to put yourself out there. Jump off the cliff and do it because you never know what’s on the other side. For example, I got my appellate clerkship with a cold call. – Simona Agnolucci
More about Ironclad
Ironclad is the leading digital contracting platform for legal teams. By streamlining contract workflows, from creation and approvals to compliance and insights, Ironclad frees legal to be the strategic advisors they’re meant to be. Ironclad is used by modern General Counsels and their teams at companies like Dropbox, AppDynamics and Fitbit to unlock the power of their contracts data. Ironclad was named one of the 20 Rising Stars as part of the Forbes 2019 Cloud 100 list, the definitive list of the top 100 private cloud companies in the world. The company is backed by investors like Accel, Sequoia, Y Combinator and Emergence Capital. To learn more, visit our homepage.
More stories from our team.